Tuesday, March 2, 2010

a few quick ideas

Hi there,

Just a few quick ideas that I use to save the moolah.

1. Make use of your local library.
I borrow books, DVDs, CDs, computer games and puzzles for my son.  This way I always have something new to entertain him with, without having to shell out the cash.
For myself and my partner, I borrow books, magazines, CDs and DVDs. Think of how much you can save by cutting down on the magazines and borrowing movies from the library rather than a rental place.  Not to mention the savings on time and money by borrowing exercise DVDs rather than going to a gym or fitness class.  Don't get me wrong - I fully understand the joy of buying a glossy new magazine purely because it is there and that's what 'we' do and the benefits of exercising with a group - however, if our main goal here is to BITE THE BUDGET - these are the things we need to consider cutting down or out.

2. Change is as good as a Holiday?
Well it might take a while but it would be possible to pay for a weekend away just out of the small change left in you wallet at the end of everyday.
I put all but a few dollars of my spare coin into a cute little piggy bank - and I just LOVE that he's putting on weight!
With this savings you can choose to spend it on a special treat every week, like a coffee with the girls or that movie you've been DIEING to see or some nice wine and some scrummy cheese OR you can put it into that savings account and watch it grow or pay off a bit more of your debt and watch it shrink! - every little bit helps.

3. Invest in a set-top box for your T.V.
Australia FINALLY has proper Digital Television and I can tell you, as a Mum, this could not have been soon enough!  With a one off cost you can get at least an extra 5 or so channels with more popping up all the time. I've never paid for television such as Austar or Foxtel but I've had the experience and I honestly don't see the point.  With this new technology there is a children's show on almost anytime you could want it, network ten has a channel dedicated to sport and there is now more sitcoms, news blah blah blah - ok i'm not trying to sell television here.... stop the blabbering Economummy!
If you're trying to cut back, just give it a go - give up the pay-tv and go to a sports bar for the big game - its a better atmosphere there anyway!

4. Don't pay for the packaging!
It really makes me sad to know that some people are still spending too much at the supermarket simply because they refuse to try the generic brand.  PLEASE just give it a try.  When you find the product you usually buy, just take a look around the shelf and see if you can get it cheaper in a different brand.  If you take it home, try it out and don't like it, don't buy it again - what have you lost?
Having said that, don't always assume that the generic brand will always be the cheapest, you might find that a top shelf brand on special is cheaper this week than the store's brand.  All it takes is a few seconds to scan the shelf and those few extra cents do add up at the checkout.

5. Talk to people.
This might seem silly but if you just tell your family and friends or even co-workers etc. that you are looking for or need or would even like something you may be surprised what people could be willing to give away or sell to you very little.  For example:

  • When my partner and I first moved into our own place, he happened to mention to a co-worker that I wanted a dining table but we had to save up a bit longer, next thing we knew he was dropping off an old 6 piece dining setting that he had made years ago that his wife has been trying to get him to toss since they bought a new one.  That cost us a 6pack of beer!
  • The place that we moved into that time was owned by one of my co-workers and he rented it to us at 'mates rates'.
  • A neighbour of ours recently was given a lounge suite by a co-worker.
  • A friend of mine has sourced an outdoor play set for my son from her parents in exchange for a cuppa while we laugh at our significant others trying to set it up!

Thats just to name a few.
Don't feel guilty about taking this sort of thing, people wouldn't offer it if they weren't willing to give and always remember to pay it forward when you can (that dining table is now in another friends home).

Well that better be it for now - motherly duties await!
I'd love to hear some of your ideas if you want to share.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment