Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Real Cost of Healthy Food

My partner and I have set ourselves a personal health challenge to lose some weight and have a healthier lifestyle in play by our son's 2nd birthday.  I've many ways to achieve this without breaking my own rule of 'thou shalt not spend ... much' that I'll discuss later.
First, I want to draw your attention to a publication from NSW Health, Dietitians Association of Australia and the Go For 2 and 5 campaign called "The Real Cost of Healthy Food".  While the calculations were made over a year ago, I believe the findings are still relevant.  Many people buy 'convenience' foods that are usually not the healthiest options claiming that they are better value.  I know that my shopping bill seems to go up the more fruit and veg I put in my trolley, however, you'll find that if you plan your meals (a loose plan is better than nothing!) and actually eat the fresh produce that you buy, you'll have really yummy meals; a healthier, fuller family; and wont need all those little extras -  you will be satisfied.
As far as giving up (or cutting down on) sugary or highly processed, unhealthy foods - I know its tough, I'm an addict myself.
Stay tuned, I'll fill you in on the best information I've found and the lessons I've learnt next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment